The HCV Friends program was launched in October 2017 at the Old Treasury Building, Melbourne. Since then, various activities have been organised for the Friends. Some are also open to "Future Friends" - i.e. people who are friends or family of an HCV Friend and who might be interested in signing up to the program in the future.
On this page you will find information about a selection of previous and current events and opportunities.
Receive advance notice of events; make your booking ahead of the mainstream publicity; bring a Future Friend!
The 'Alert' emails (sent to all Friends) will provide advance notice of HCV events whenever possible.
All seminars in the 2019 Making Public Histories series are held on Tuesday evenings at the Old Treasury Building in Spring Street, Melbourne, from 6.00 to 7.30 pm. The series is coordinated by the HCV in partnership with Monash University and the Old Treasury Building. There is no charge, but we ask all attendees to RSVP to reserve their seats. Bookings open approximately six weeks prior to each seminar. Click HERE to learn more about the series and the 2019 seminars.
FRIENDS ON THE ROAD
Visit unusual collections and participate in regional programs; bring a Future Friend!
Get discounts on ticket prices and other special offers!
Forthcoming: HCV Annual Lecture, Wednesday 2 October 2019
- HCV Annual Lecture, September 2017
- Official launch of the Friends, 19 October 2017
- History Slam on 'Contested History' at History Week 2018
Enjoy Friends-only events and opportunities!
- Friends 'Alert' email
- Publicise your own event via the HCV Calendar - follow the guidance provided in the second paragraph of this web page
- Discounted offer for the history of state secondary schooling in Victoria by Dr John Andrews and Dr Deborah Towns, released by Australian Scholarly Publishing in 2018. (Details of the offer are provided to new Friends when they sign up. Earlier Friends can request a reminder from the HCV Executive Officer.)
- In September 2018, a dozen Friends joined a free behind-the-scenes tour at State Library Victoria, led by expert staff. Please click HERE for full details.
- In June 2019, fourteen Friends visited the Library of the Royal United Services Institute of Victoria at Victoria Barracks, Melbourne. Please click HERE for full details.
Gather socially with a focus on history; drinks at bar prices (or included in ticket price); bring a Future Friend!
Save the date: Please reserve Thursday 5 December 2019 for an end-of-year gathering for Friends and HCV Board members with a distinguished guest speaker. Details will be posted here during the Spring.
Completed: On Wednesday 21 November 2018, the Friends and HCV Board members gathered at Young and Jackson’s hotel, Swanston Street, Melbourne for an end-of-year dinner. Archaeologist Meg Goulding updated us on the excavations at the Metro tunnel site just north of the hotel. During 2018 the site yielded important information about Melbourne’s first school and attracted widespread media attention.
The FRIENDS’ ALERT email is sent occasionally and exclusively to all HCV Friends. It provides information, updates and reminders, usually under the same headings as listed above.